Mcalester Oklahoma History
People travel all over Oklahoma to photograph the natural and the human - wonders the state has to offer, but few people realize the significance of this fact. In history lessons we learn that Oklahoma was once part of the Louisiana Territory. The United States was granted the right to become a state of Oklahoma in 1803 through the Louisiana Purchase. It would take 24 years before Oklahoma would begin the famous land grab or the Native American lands would gain statehood in 1889. Oklahoma gained statehood in 1907 and again in 1908, in the midst of a major oil and gas boom.
The question isn't really why parts of Oklahoma were turned away from the Democratic Party, but why has it taken so long?
He is from eastern Oklahoma and says that his roots in Oklahoma's political history go back to the late 19th century and the early 20th century. His contemporaries pay tribute to him as one of the most influential men in the history of the state, if not the first.
On August 22, 1872, J.J. McAlester married Rebecca Burney, who was born in Mississippi in 1841 and died in Oklahoma on May 4, 1919. He spent his formative years in Fort Smith, Arkansas, but was not born there until the late 18th or early 19th century, according to the Oklahoma State Historical Society. On August 23, 1870, he married his first wife, Rebecca Burney of Mississippi, and they married on August 22, 1872.
After the defeat of the Confederates, he returned to Fort Smith, where he met engineer Oliver Weldon, who gave him his first job as an engineer in the US Army. McAlester learned of coal deposits in Indian territory while serving in the US Army during the Civil War.
Although the early records of the US census identified the original site simply as McAlester, it soon became known as North McAleter or North Town. The business flourished until the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (Katy) built a line nearby in 1872. In 1873, the railway line crossed with the Katy and a new settlement was created, known as South McAlster.
This led to a redrawing of the county lines and names and resulted in the majority of Tobucksy County falling under the new line of Pittsburg County. This led to an increase in the population of McAlester and the establishment of a new county, North McAlster, in 1873. It also led to a change in the boundaries of the county, which led to a reduction in the number of counties within the original boundary, and thus to a decrease in the population.
McAlester was known as the Little Dixie capital, and Democrats enjoyed strong support from the once-solid South that switched to the Republican Party. When voters sent Barack Obama to the White House in 2008, the split between the Oklahoma Democrats and the Washington Democrats became a major issue in the 2012 presidential and 2016 general elections.
The location of the Texas Road trading post spoke for itself, as the Katy Railroad line under construction followed the Texas Road of the Shawnee Trail southward along the Red River. The location of the trading posts on Texas Rd. and their proximity to the Arkansas River formed the basis for the founding of McAlester, the first city in Oklahoma, in the early 18th century. It also weighed heavily in favour of its location on Texas Road, which gave it the advantage of following Katy's construction line roughly.
The city had forgotten its name in the time of William McAlester, an early white settler and businessman who later became the deputy governor of Oklahoma.
The J.J. McAlester Mercantile Company flourished as coal production soared, and at that time his interest in coal grew. At that time, Union Pacific had leased the Rock Island Line of A.K.A. Oklahoma Railroad from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The railway operated the line until April 1904, when it was taken over by the Rocky Island System. That brought his total mileage to 118 miles, but by that time he was well into his second term as Oklahoma governor and a member of the Oklahoma State Senate.
Oklahoma's lines were mainly coal and railroad, and Gulf Railroad Co. (CO & G) was formed in 1953 to take over the existing small railroads and complete the construction of a new line from McAlester to Shawnee, Texas. In 1980, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (Katy) took advantage of the liquidation of CRI & P and bought several properties, including the line between McAleary and Shawnees. The first lines were the Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas lines, and the Arkansas, Arkansas and Missouri lines.
In October 1895, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad began a major expansion program and built railroad tracks between McAlester and Shawnee, Oklahoma.